My quest to cook, eat & review different iterations of the “burger” (Check out my Pita Burger and Grilled Cheese Bacon Burger) has led me to try a classic – the pizza burger. The cool part about the pizza burger is that you can get really creative with it – because pizza is such a flexible thing where you can order it with so many different types of toppings and things – so really, a pizza burger is just as flexible. I chose to keep it pretty traditional here (as I have never made a pizza burger before) and all I did was include sauce, cheese and pepperoni. I do however think that there is a restaurant idea here for a menu of all different types of spins on the pizza burger that includes customized combinations of toppings, different spices like oregano or those hot red pepper flakes or grated parmesan etc.… anyway, a guy can dream can’t he?
Honestly, this is by far the tastiest burger I have ever personally cooked. My wife has been my guinea pig taste-tester for my different burgers – and she said “this is by far your best one yet” – and that says a lot since my last one was a bacon cheese burger wedged between two bacon grilled cheese sandwiches. So the point I am making here is that if you follow my recipe below, you will absolutely not be disappointed. Maybe even put your own little spin on my basic version and let me know what you did and how it turned out. Enjoy!!
Okay…………Here is how it is made.
Chop meat (a snowball size ball for each burger – see step 2 below for size reference)
1 jar of pizza sauce
2 slices of thickly sliced deli pepperoni (for each burger)
1 bag of grated mozzarella cheese
Step By Step Instructions:
1. Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a small mixing bowl, season the chop meat with some salt & pepper as desired. Then form a small ball of meat for each burger and fashion each ball into a burger shape (they should end up approximately 1 inch thick). Once you have all the patties formed, place them in an oven-safe non stick roasting pan
3. Pour the pizza sauce over the patties so that they are completely covered and no longer visible. Then cover with tin foil – and cut two small slits in the foil to allow ventilation. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 – 20 minutes.
4. While the burgers are cooking away, dice the thick sliced pepperoni into small cubes and place them in a small frying pan on high – and let it get nice and crispy (but not burnt). You will need to drain the grease about half way through. Once they are crispy but still not charred, take them off the flame and set them aside.
5. Once the burgers are done cooking (slice one open to check temperature) remove them from the sauce and place them on a cookie sheet or a metal roasting pan which will be safe under a broiler. Put a spoonful of the pizza sauce from the roasting pan on each of the burgers, top that with a hand full of the grilled pepperoni, and finally top that with a handful of the mozzarella cheese. Then melt the cheese under the broiler, place it on the bun (toasted if you desire) and ENJOY.